The public has been given a sneak peek at plans for the new Pimpama train station, with the Queensland Government announcing the start of detailed design for three new Cross River Rail stations.
GHD, along with its architecture arm GHD Woodhead, have been awarded the design contract for Pimpama, Merrimac and Helensvale North stations. Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said about 20 full-time jobs will be created through the transformational project’s detailed design process.
“This is the very first important step towards building three new stations on the coast as part of my government’s $56 billion infrastructure guarantee,” the Premier said.
“Investing in these stations alongside our $1 billion M1 upgrade, $1.5 billion second M1 and $709 million light rail stage 3 is an important part of our economic recovery and will put the Gold Coast in the fast lane when it comes to transport and jobs through COVID-19.”
Minister for Transport and Main Roads, Mark Bailey, said in addition to creating 20 full-time roles, as many as 100 GHD workers will be involved during the detailed design process.
“Most of the workforce is local, including graduate engineers and scientists and cadet technicians based in GHD’s Gold Coast and Brisbane offices,” Minister Bailey said.
“GHD will refine the existing concept designs for each station, producing detailed designs, documentation and approvals ready for construction.”
“As part of the detailed design phase, additional studies will be undertaken including construction methodology, noise modelling, flood modelling and flora and fauna studies.”
“Community feedback and input is being considered as part of the detailed design phase and there will be another opportunity for public consultation on the updated designs later this year, with nearby communities to be notified well in advance,” he commented.
GHD’s General Manager, South Queensland Operations, Richard Evans, added that the company was delighted to work on the detailed designs of the three stations, having already delivered the station concept designs and business cases.
“These three new stations will play a vital role in the continued growth of the Gold Coast and Queensland communities,” Mr Evans said.
Gold Coast stations fast facts:
- As part of Cross River Rail, three new Gold Coast stations will be constructed at Pimpama, Helensvale North and Merrimac;
- Early investigations are underway, including geotechnical works, surveying and environmental studies;
- Community consultation took place in late 2019 on concept designs for the new stations, with more than 1150 people providing feedback;
- Pimpama land acquisition is nearing completion, with all sites expected to be acquired or ownership transferred by mid-2021;
- Detailed designs for all three stations will be developed during 2021 and will inform the preferred construction methodology and timing.
- Stations will be operational in time for Cross River Rail’s opening in 2025.