Barrack Place has been awarded the prestigious 6 Star Green Star – As Built Certified Rating from the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA).
Located at 151 Clarence Street Sydney, Barrack Place was completed in 2018 and is now a sustainable and technologically-advanced commercial office building.
Barrack Place has already been recognised as Australia’s first ever WELL Core & Shell Gold Pre-certified Building by the International WELL Building Institute.
The 6 Star Green Star – As Built Certified Rating represents a world-class standard in environmentally sustainable design and acknowledges the next generation sustainability features of the commercial office and retail space at Barrack Place – which was constructed by Built, designed by leading architectural firm, Architectus in partnership with multi-disciplinary engineering consultant, ARUP.
To achieve this milestone rating the development team implemented several sustainability measures which offer both resource efficiency and occupant health and wellbeing benefits, these include:
- An underfloor air displacement system, that reduces energy use through higher supply air temperatures while allowing individual comfort preferences to be accommodated through adjustable floor grilles.
- A UV light filtration system which was installed to keep the cooling coils in the air handling units clean and mould free – offering better air quality throughout the building.
- An organic response lighting system offers intuitive lighting zoning control that dim gradually, reducing discomfort from contrast glare whilst offering energy savings by providing lighting only in the occupied spaces where it is needed.
- Barrack Place promotes active modes of transport such as cycling and running which not only reduce carbon emissions but improve health and fitness. This is achieved by providing high-quality end of trip facilities with towel and laundry services, while the bike storage space provides maintenance tools, parts and bicycle servicing.
- Electric vehicle charging stations have also been installed to roughly 10 per cent of the car parks at Barrack Place.
Furthermore, throughout the project’s construction an environmental education component was added to all site inductions which resulted in workers having a greater understanding of construction site impacts such as energy and water consumption, low toxicity materials and waste. This training assisted the project to achieve a sitewide recycling rate of 98.3 per cent.
Group Executive and Head of Commercial Development at Investa Mark Tait said hey are incredibly thrilled to have achieved a superior 6 Star Green Star As Built Rating at Barrack Place.
“It exemplifies how all partners on the project have pioneered leading design and technology innovations well beyond the pre-existing standards of building sustainability and wellbeing,” he said.
Managing Director of Built Brett Mason added that their goal is to demonstrate leadership in sustainability on every project, and they are proud of the achieved result.
“We’re pleased to have exceeded the original 5 Star Green Star target, by championing an innovative construction approach to achieve a 6 Star Green Star outcome in collaboration with Investa,” Mr Mason said.