The NSW Government announced on 17 July 2021, that except in limited circumstances, no construction will occur in Greater Sydney from Monday 19 July 12.01 am until Friday 30 July 11.59 pm. Exceptions include to ensure safety and security, critical maintenance and emergency.
On Sunday 18 July, Darren Greenfield, CFMEU NSW Secretary, said the CFMEU and wider industry have been fighting to keep construction open and operating under the COVID safety protocols and procedures that minimise risk during the pandemic. Despite this work, the NSW Government decided to completely shut down the entire construction industry in Sydney without notice.
“The CFMEU is working with the NSW Government and industry to expedite a normal resumption of work as soon as possible after the cessation period ends,” Mr Greenfield said.
“The union is prioritising securing payment to contractors and workers’ wages for last week and to ensure they can access appropriate entitlements to support them over the coming weeks. The construction workforce is one of the biggest in NSW and the industry is a critical part of the state and national economies.”
“This decision will affect hundreds of thousands of workers across the industry and supply chains and have an enormous impact on their lives, the lives of their families, and their communities,” Mr Greenfield said.
“The NSW and Federal Governments need to ensure any emergency payments and other support measures are made available to affected workers and their families without delay.”
“If CFMEU members or their families are experiencing mental health concerns as a result of this stressful situation they can contact Foundation House on (02) 9810 3117 for counselling and support.”
For full details on the NSW Government’s Public Health Order issued 17 July 2021, visit here.