27 State Heritage-listed properties in South Australia are in for a spruce up, thanks to grants of $250,000 being provided under the first round of the state’s new Heritage Grants Program.
Through the grants, the program aims to help rejuvenate South Australia’s built heritage – ensuring it is protected and preserved for future generations.
The heritage-listed places to gain funding in this first round include cottages, churches, woolsheds, a hotel, railway station, and a blacksmith barn, with applicants receiving grants ranging from $1,000 to $20,000.
Minister for Environment and Water David Speirs said the successful projects were selected by a panel of heritage architects and experts based on a set of criteria.
“It’s exciting that by providing a total of $250,000 to part-fund these projects, more than $1.6 million worth of conservation works will be achieved,” said Minister Speirs.
“It’s also been really encouraging to see that there is huge interest in renovating and preserving our heritage, with nearly 70 applications received for funding in this first grant round.”
Mr Speirs further encouraged all State Heritage property owners to look at how the program could help them undertake conservation work, which is important to the preservation of South Australia’s history.
Round Two of the SA Heritage Grants Program, with a total of $250,000 available for grants, are to open later this month and close in late July 2019.
Under the program, up to $5,000 will be available for simple projects, $10,000 for complex projects and $20,000 for major projects.
Grants will only cover up to 50 per cent of the anticipated costs of conservation works or documentation, with the recipient responsible for matching funding dollar for dollar.
In some cases, in-kind labour and materials may be recognised as part of the matching contribution.
Furthermore, conservation projects that benefit the public realm, activate under-utilised places, support specialised heritage training and/or facilitate tourism may get special consideration.
STATE HERITAGE PLACE / CONSERVATION PROJECT / GRANT AMOUNT
- 12596 Former Schoolhouse, Poonindie Mission /Stone stabilisation / $1,000
- 12593 Superintendents Residence, Poonindie Mission / Re-roofing / $3,000
- 13144 Thiele Cottage and Blacksmith Barn, Hahndorf /Re-pointing and re-roofing / $3,400
- 12722 West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide / Grave of Osmond Gilles / $4,000
- 14038 Quarryman’s Cottage, Willunga /Restore Upstairs Windows / $4,400
- 11190 Campbell Park Station, Narrung / Documentation / $5,000
- 10315 Cordillo Downs Woolshed, Cordillo/ Conservation Management Plan / $5,000
- 25005 Hawker Railway Station, Hawker /Stone Work Repair / $7,500
- 13937 Dunn Memorial Church, Mt Barker /Repairs to tower and spire / $7,530
- 12244 Holy Cross Lutheran Church Gruenberg, Penrice / Re-roofing / $8,750
- 11611 National Bank Strathalbyn Branch / Façade conservation / $10,000
- 13171 Clayton Wesley Uniting, Beulah Park/ Facade Restoration / $10,000
- 10866 Christ Church North Adelaide / Re-roofing / $10,000
- 11672 Holy Evangelists Anglican Goolwa / Repair Stone Wall / $10,000
- 13941 Upstairs Downstairs Antiques, Nairne / Re-Roof and stone repairs / $10,000
- 13737 Auchendarroch House, Mt Barker/ Conservation Study / $10,000
- 13258 Coach House and Fairford House, Bedford Park / Coach House Restoration / $10,000
- 14506 Kay Brothers Winery, McLaren Vale / Southern Wall Restoration / $10,000
- 10201 Magpie and Stump Hotel, Mintaro/ Re-roofing / $10,000
- 11732 & 13975 MoontaMines / Wall conservation / $10,000
- 13502 Hall – Baptist Church, North Adelaide/ Roof and Ceiling Repairs / $10,000
- 10232 St Andrews Uniting Church, Mount Gambier / Repair Spire / $10,000
- 12373 Transcontinental hotel, Quorn/ Balcony Repair / $11,020
- 12725 Point McLeay (Raukkan) Settlement, Raukkan/ Stone Restoration / $14,000
- 10315 CordilloDowns Woolshed / Reinstate Roof / $15,000
- 12164 Pile’s Building, Gawler / Replace Frontage / $20,000
- 10277 Poltalloch Station, Poltalloch / Re-roofing / $20,000
More information on the SA Heritage Grants Program can be found here.